NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING
Pursuant to Sections 91-2 and 92-41, Hawaii Revised Statutes, the Hawaii Public Housing Authority (HPHA), Department of Human Services, hereby provides notice that it will hold public hearings on the proposed repeal of Chapter 15-181, “Resident Advisory Board”, Hawaii Administrative Rules (HAR), and proposed adoption of Chapter 17-2032, “Resident Advisory Board”, HAR.
Background: Due to the changes in title number and department to which HPHA is administratively attached, and other extensive changes to Chapter 15-181, HAR, HPHA proposed to repeal Chapter 15-181, HAR, and adopt Chapter 17-2032, HAR, in its place. The difference between the Chapters are:
1) Changing title numbers from Title 15, HAR, to Title 17, HAR; changing subtitle numbers from Subtitle 14, HAR, to Subtitle 5, HAR; and changing chapter numbers from Chapter 181, HAR, to Chapter 2032, HAR;
2) Changing the state department to which HPHA is administratively attached, from Department of Business, Economic Development and Tourism, to Department of Human Services;
3) Changing certain Subchapter titles;
4) Amending the definitions in section 17-2032-2 to add “Rental agreement”;
5) Section 17-2032-21, HAR [Resident advisory board]:
a. Specifying that all RAB expenses shall be part of an approved budget, and expenditures shall require prior written approval by the Executive Director, for clarity;
b. Clarifying that the minimum number of members to serve on the RAB shall be nine and the number of representatives required from each geographic area;
c. Clarifying that the HPHA shall appoint resident councils or representatives to serve on the RAB, consistent with 24 C.F.R. 903.13(b)(2);
6) Removing completely old Section 15-181-42, HAR [Executive meetings] in its entirety from new Chapter 17-2032, HAR;
7) Section 17-2032-43, HAR [Agenda]: Clarifying the content of the RAB agenda;
8) Section 17-2032-61, HAR [Nominees for public resident member for the authority’s board of directors]: Specifying a minimum and maximum number of RAB nominees for the public resident member of the HPHA Board of Directors, and the qualifications of a nominator of the public resident member of the HPHA Board of Directors;
9) Section 17-2032-62, HAR [Recommendation of the resident advisory board]: Specifying a minimum and maximum number of RAB nominees for the public resident member of the HPHA Board of Directors, and clarifying that the Governor may selection and appoint the resident member for the Board of Directors from the list submitted; and
10) Other substantive revisions to comply with the procedures set forth in Chapter 91, HRS, Hawaii Administrative Rules Drafting Manual, and for the purposes of clarity.
Public Review: The proposed changes to proposed new Chapter 17-2032, HAR, are available for public viewing at the HPHA and site management offices at the following locations between 7:45a.m. to 4:30p.m.
Public Hearings: Public hearings will be held at the following locations on
Tuesday, March 5, 2019 at 5:00 p.m.:
Hawaii Public Housing Authority (HPHA) Kealakehe Housing Project
1002 N. School Street, Bldg. “A” Resident Association Meeting Room
Honolulu, Hawaii 96817 74-991 Manawalea St. #A101
Kailua-Kona, Hawaii 96740
Lanakila Homes Conference Room Kapaa Community Hall
600 Wailoa Street 4726 Malu Road
Hilo, Hawaii 96720 Kapaa, Hawaii 96746
Kahekili Terrace Office/Community Hall
2015 Holowai Place
Wailuku, Hawaii 96793
HPHA’s Administrative Offices, 1002 North School Street, Honolulu
Oahu: Puuwai Momi Office, 99-132 Kohomua Street, Aiea
Oahu: Kalihi Valley Homes Office, 2250 Kalena Drive, Honolulu
Oahu: Mayor Wright Homes Office, 521 N. Kukui Street, Honolulu
Oahu: Kalakaua Homes Office, 1545 Kalakaua Avenue, Honolulu
Oahu: Kalanihuia Office, 1220 Aala St., Honolulu
Oahu: Hale Poai Office, 1001 N. School Street, Honolulu
Oahu: Waimaha Sunflower Office: 85-186 McArthur Street, Waianae
Oahu: Koolau Village Office: 45-1027 Kamau Place, Kaneohe
Oahu: Kauhale Nani Office: 310 North Cane St., Wahiawa
Oahu: Palolo Valley Homes Office: 2129 Ahe Street #18E, Honolulu
Oahu: Kuhio Homes Office: 1475 Linapuni Street, Honolulu
Hawaii: Lanakila Homes Office, 600 Wailoa Street, Hilo
Hawaii: Ka Hale Kahaluu Office, 78-6725 Makolea Street, Kailua-Kona
Hawaii: Noelani II Office, 65-1191 Opelo Road, Kamuela
Kauai: Kapaa Office, 4726 Malu Road, Kapaa
Maui: Kahekili Terrace, 2015 Holowai Place, Wailuku
Molokai: Kahale Mua, Maunaloa, Molokai
Proposed changes are also available on the HPHA website at HYPERLINK: http://www.hpha.hawaii.gov/referenceinformation/admin_rule.htm
All interested persons are invited to provide comments relating to the proposed new Chapter 17-2032, HAR, either orally or in writing.
Oral comments should be presented at the public hearing. All oral and written testimony presented at the public hearing will be considered in preparing the amendments to new Chapter 17-2032, HAR. Persons who cannot attend the hearing and prefer not to provide written comments may phone (808) 721-3512 and leave their comments as a voicemail message.
Written comments may be presented to the presiding officer at the public hearing, or mailed to the Hawaii Public Housing Authority, Attention: HAR Comments, at 1002 North School Street Bldg. E, Honolulu, Hawaii 96817. Written comments may also be faxed to (808) 832-4679 or sent by electronic mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. Written comments not presented at the public hearing should be received at the HPHA office in Honolulu by 4:30 p.m. Tuesday, March 5, 2019.
Any person requiring assistance to participate, such as large print, taped materials, interpreters for sign language or limited English proficiency, etc., should make a request to HPHA at least ten working days prior to the public hearings in order to allow time to make arrangements. Requests can be made by writing to HPHA at the address above or by calling (808) 832-4693.
Hawaii Public Housing Authority
Department of Human Services
HPHA does not discriminate against any person because of race, color, religion, sex, disability, familial status, ancestry, age, marital status, or HIV infection.