STATE OF HAWAII
DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION
Notice of Intent to File Passenger Facility Charge (PFC) Application
Under the provisions of the 49 United States Code (U.S.C.) Section 40117 and the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), Department of Transportation, regulations (Title 14 Code of Federal Regulation (CFR) Part 158) implementing the PFC, the State of Hawaii (the State) invites public comment on its intent to file an application with the FAA to impose a $4.50 PFC at Daniel K. Inouye International Airport (HNL), Kahului Airport (OGG), Ellison Onizuka Kona International Airport at Keahole (KOA), Lihue Airport (LIH), and Hilo International Airport (ITO), and use the $4.50 PFC for projects at HNL, OGG, LIH and KOA. It is important to note that AIR-21, paragraph 10-32(b), excludes all inter-island flights from collecting PFCs.
The proposed charge effective date is estimated to be July 1, 2026. The total amount of PFC revenue estimated to be collected under this proposed application with a $4.50 PFC is $340.7 million. The estimated charge expiration date is July 1, 2033. The State’s currently active PFC Application No. 5 Final Agency Decision (FAD) dated November 22, 2013, has an estimated Charge Expiration date of July 1, 2026. PFC Application No. 6 FAD dated August 30, 2016, allows for the “use” of funds approved for collection under PFC Application No. 5.
This PFC application will request use of the PFC revenue for the following projects at HNL, OGG, LIH and KOA:
1. Taxilanes G & L Widening, Phase I, located at HNL. PFC amount $158,731,448. This project reconstructs, realigns and widens Taxilanes G & L to allow larger aircraft to simultaneously use the taxilanes. The project also includes construction management services.
2. Runway 8L Widening & Miscellaneous Improvements, Phase 1, located at HNL. PFC amount $8,325,638. This project rehabilitates and widens Runway 8L from a width of 150-ft. to 200-ft. along a length of 6,000-ft. on the eastern end of the runway, constructs blast pads and arresting barrier cement structures, and other improvements to both the runway and surrounding taxiways to meet the federal airport certification requirements under CFR Part 139. The project also includes construction management services.
3. Airbus 380 Improvements at Gates 29 & 34 located at HNL. PFC amount $35,802,791. This project constructs improvements to Gates 29 & 34 to accommodate Airbus A380 aircraft. Work includes installation of a third passenger loading bridge from the third level, installation of a 3rd level corridor from the passenger loading bridge to the international arrivals sterile corridor at the Ewa concourse, strengthening of the hardstands and pavement areas, upgrading the electrical capacity, and other miscellaneous improvements. The project also includes construction management services.
4. Inter-Island Terminal Roadway & Miscellaneous Improvements located at HNL. PFC amount $20,981,949. This project will rehabilitate the Wiki-Wiki Bus Roadway on the 3rd Level of the Inter-Island Terminal and at the vehicular connecting link between the Inter-Island Terminal and the Ewa Concourse. Work includes replacing the concrete slab, waterproofing membrane, structural deck, expansion joints, drains, and other related improvements. This project also includes construction management services.
5. Replacement of Loading Bridges located at OGG. PFC amount $20,220,470. This project replaces 7 passenger loading bridges at Gates 15, 23, 27, 29, 33, 35, and 39. The project also includes construction management services.
6. Replacement of Elevators & Escalators located at OGG. PFC amount $13,502,264. This project will replace 10 elevators, 3 escalators, and 4 moving walkways. Work includes upgrading the fire alarm system to connect to the new elevators, and other related work. The project also includes construction management services.
7. Runway 3-21 and Taxiway B Rehabilitation located at LIH. PFC amount $5,081,173. This project will rehabilitate the pavement of Runway 3-21, Taxiway B, and adjoining Taxiways C, D, and E. The project also includes construction management services.
8. Terminal Modernization, Phase 1 located at KOA. PFC amount $78,085,594. This project constructs a centralized security checkpoint, connects the north and south holdroom areas, constructs a baggage handling system, constructs new restrooms in the non-secured and secured areas, installs a common use passenger processing system, integrates the flight information display and public address systems, and installs air conditioning for public areas. The project also includes construction management services.
Additional information concerning the PFC Application and these projects is available on the DOT Airports website at:
Written comments on the proposed actions contained in this notice will be accepted by the State until Monday, October 9, 2017 at 4:00 PM.
To submit comments or request additional information, please contact: Mr. Shu Ki Tsang, PFC Administrator at State of Hawaii, Department of Transportation, Airports Division, 400 Rodgers Boulevard, Suite 700, Honolulu, Hawaii 96819; via email at firstname.lastname@example.org ; via facsimile: (808) 838-8751.
(SA1024568 9/3, 9/6, 9/8/17)