STATE OF HAWAII
DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION
Notice of Intent to File Passenger Facility Charge (PFC) Application
Under the provisions of the 49 United States Code Section 40117 and the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), Department of Transportation, regulations (Title 14 Code of Federal Regulation (CFR) Part 158) implementing the PFC, the State of Hawaii (the State) invites public comment on its intent to file an application with the FAA to impose a $4.50 PFC at Daniel K. Inouye International Airport (HNL), Kahului Airport (OGG), Ellison Onizuka Kona International Airport at Keahole (KOA), Lihue Airport (LIH), and Hilo International Airport (ITO), and use the $4.50 PFC for projects at HNL, OGG, LIH and KOA. AIR-21, paragraph 10-32(b), excludes all inter-island flights from collecting PFCs. This is a revised notice of intent to file PFC Application number 7.
The proposed charge effective date is estimated to be July 1, 2026. The total amount of PFC revenue estimated to be collected under this proposed application is $313.8 million. The estimated charge expiration date is July 1, 2032.
This PFC application will request use of the PFC revenue for the following projects:
1. Taxilanes G & L Widening, Phase I, located at HNL. PFC amount $141,867,211. This project reconstructs, realigns and widens Taxilanes G & L to allow larger aircraft to simultaneously use the taxilanes.
2. Runway 8L Widening & Miscellaneous Improvements, Phase 1, located at HNL. PFC amount $5,781,750. This project rehabilitates and widens Runway 8L from a width of 150-ft. to 200-ft. along a length of 6,000-ft. on the eastern end of the runway, constructs blast pads and arresting barrier cement structures, and other improvements to both the runway and surrounding taxiways to meet the federal airport certification requirements under CFR Part 139.
3. Airbus A380 Improvements at Gates 29 and 34 located at HNL. PFC amount $31,674,104. This project constructs improvements to Gates 29 & 34 to accommodate Airbus A380 aircraft. Work includes installation of a third passenger boarding bridge from the third level, installation of a 3rd level corridor from the passenger boarding bridge to the international arrivals sterile corridor at the Ewa Concourse, strengthening of the hardstands and pavement areas, upgrading the electrical capacity, and other improvements.
4. Terminal Improvements to Shuttle Station Roadway between Gates 26 to 62 located at HNL. PFC amount $20,981 ,949. This project will rehabilitate the Wiki-Wiki Bus Roadway on the 3rd Level of the Inter-Island Terminal and at the vehicular connecting link between the Inter-Island Terminal and the Ewa Concourse. Work includes replacing the concrete slab, waterproofing membrane, structural deck, expansion joints, drains, and other related improvements.
5. Replacement of Passenger Boarding Bridges located at OGG. PFC amount $19,936,334. This project replaces 7 passenger boarding bridges (PBB) at Gates 15, 23, 27, 29, 33, 35, and 39 and decommissions 2 existing PBB at Gates 25 and 31.
6. Replacement of Elevators and Escalators located at OGG. PFC amount $13,502,264. This project will replace 10 elevators, 3 escalators, and 4 moving walkways. Work includes upgrading the fire alarm system to connect to the new elevators, and other related work.
7. Runway 3-21 and Taxiway B Rehabilitation located at LIH. PFC amount $5,102,173. This project will rehabilitate the pavement of Runway 3-21, Taxiway B, and adjoining Taxiways C, D, and E.
8. Terminal Modernization, Phase 1 located at KOA. PFC amount $74,907,135. This project will construct a centralized security checkpoint, connect the north and south holdroom areas, construct a baggage handling system, and new restrooms in the non-secured and secured areas, install a common use passenger processing system, integrate the flight information display and public address systems, and
install air conditioning for public areas.
All projects listed above also include construction management services.
Additional information concerning the PFC Application and these projects are available on the DOT Airports website at:
Written comments on the proposed actions contained in this notice will be accepted by the State until Monday, June 4, 2018 at 4:00 PM.
To submit comments or request additional information, please contact: Mr. Shu Ki Tsang, PFC Administrator at State of Hawaii, Department of Transportation, Airports Division, 400 Rodgers Boulevard, Suite 700, Honolulu, Hawaii 96819; or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
(SA1088110 4/29, 5/2, 5/4/18)